Ah, the time has come for another Classics Club Spin! I've never had to best success with completing any of the spins I've participated in but that doesnt mean I wont keep trying.
The rules, as always, are:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by February 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
My list is as follows:
- Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio
- Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
- Three Comedies - Ben Johnson
- Moll Flanders - Daniel Defoe
- Arthurian Romances - Chretien de Troyes
- Arabian Nights - Anonymous
- Beowulf - Anonymous
- The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
- Divine Comedy - Dante
- Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Pickwick Papers - Charles Dickens
- The Iliad - Homer
- Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
- War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
- Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
- Silas Marner - George Eliot
- The Waves - Virginia Woolf
- Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
- Orlando Furioso - Ludovico Ariosto
- Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
I chose novels/plays/other texts that all will challenge me. A lot of them are very long and/or very intimidating.
Can't wait to see what I'll be reading.